The SJ is our version of what is commonly called a small Jumbo. Although the 16 inch lower bout is slightly wider than a dreadnought, and the sides almost as deep, the tight curve at the waist creates in a very different sound chamber. SJs, especially examples in maple, typically have a more pronounced midrange response when compared to a dreadnought, making them ideal candidates for a rounded cutaway. Players looking for the bass and overall volume of a large guitar, but with lots of treble clarity and midrange crunch, often find just what they need in the curvaceous SJ.
Standard Features Include:
- Select sitka spruce top
- Mahogany back and sides
- Black/white wood nitrate strip rosette
- Tortoise-style top/back/neck/peghead binding
- Black/white wood purfling with 1-style walnut backstrip
- Pre-war scalloped bracing
- Tortoise-style celluloid pickguard
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Mahogany neck
- Double bound "Haircut" headstock
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Ebony fingerboard with ebony SJ-style bridge
- Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- 20 Frets, neck joins the body at the 14th fret
- Medium-Fat "C" neck profile and 2 3/16" string spacing
- 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut and drop-in saddle
- 25 1/2" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Mother of pearl Modern Diamond fretboard & peghead inlay
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Ebony bridge pins and end pin
- Nickel Schaller mini-tuners with 1:14 ratio
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Collings deluxe hardshell case by TKL
more custom acoustic guitar options
There Are No Shortcuts: Collings Acoustic Guitars
This short documentary film examines acoustic guitar building at Collings Guitars and the focus on quality that has come to define the company culture.
- Body Length: 20 1/8"
- Body Depth at Side: 4 1/2"
- Lower Bout Width: 16"
- Total Length: 41"
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Standard Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Factory Strings: D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Recommended Gauges: