The square-shouldered 14-fret dreadnought is the most popular steel-string acoustic guitar body shape in the world. While Collings is certainly not the only company to build them, we bring a new tonal clarity to the depth and warmth usually associated with such a large, deep-bodied guitar. Although its bass response makes the dreadnought ideal for vocal accompaniment, Collings versions are also often employed by bluegrass flatpickers who must compete with inherently louder instruments such as banjos and fiddles. The wide range of woods and neck sizes offered allow dreadnought fans to find a Collings model ideally suited to their playing style and tonal preference.
Standard Features Include:
- Select sitka spruce top
- Mahogany back & sides
- Black/white wood nitrate strip rosette
- Tortoise-style top/back body binding
- Black/white wood purfling with 1-style walnut backstrip
- Pre-war scalloped bracing
- Tortoise-style celluloid pickguard
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Mahogany neck
- Square headstock with no volute
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Ebony fingerboard with ebony belly-style bridge
- Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- 20 Frets, neck joins the body at the 14th fret
- Modified V neck profile with 2 3/16" string spacing
- 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" bone nut and drop-in saddle
- 25 1/2" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Ebony bridge pins and end pin
- Nickel Waverly tuners with 16:1 ratio
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Collings deluxe hardshell case by TKL
more custom acoustic guitar options
Kenny Smith - D1 A V
Kenny Smith plays "Me and My Farmall" on his personal 2003 Collings D1 A V.
Pete Huttlinger - D1 A
Pete Huttlinger plays "Josie" by Steely Dan on a Collings D1 A.
Carl Miner - Collings D1 A
Carl Miner of The Greencards plays an original composition on a Collings D1 A.
- Body Length: 20"
- Body Depth at Side: 4 7/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 15 5/8"
- Total Length: 40 1/4"
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Standard Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Factory Strings: D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Recommended Gauges:
- Interview: Bill Collings interview from Acoustic magazine
- Acoustic Guitar Options: Neck Profile and Bridge Options Diagram
- Custom Acoustic Guitar Gallery: D1 A Special #17668
- Review: The ToneQuest Report -Collings D1 and D2H reviews
- Custom Acoustic Guitar Gallery: D1 G SB # 18505
- Artists and Sightings: Herb Pederson - Collings D1 A
- Artists and Sightings: Adam Aijala - Collings D1
- Artists and Sightings: David Bromberg - Collings D1 A Varnish
- Artists and Sightings: Andy Falco - Collings D1 A
- Artists and Sightings: Kenny and Amanda Smith - Collings D1 A V and D1 A SB
- Artists and Sightings: Uwe Kruger - Collings D1 A Varnish
- Artists and Sightings: Tony Kamel (Wood and Wire) - Collings D1 A