The I35 LC is the result of a custom laminated construction technique that Bill Collings and his R&D team developed in pursuit of the best tonal qualities of vintage semi-hollow guitar design. When crafting instruments designed to be used electrically at higher volumes, the resonant qualities of a guitar need a high degree of focus to achieve some of the classic semi-hollow guitar tones. The I35 LC is the first of a line of laminate instruments designed to respond acoustically in perfect harmony with their electronics. Custom crafted in house for each guitar, the Collings laminate line has provided another unique way for us to voice our instruments for superior response and tone. The I35 LC features a custom laminate maple top, sides and back and an all mahogany neck. The I35 LC is among our most articulate and versatile electric models.
Standard Features Include:
- Select figured maple semi-hollow laminate body & mahogany neck
- Inset maple center block
- Aged white top/back binding
- Slim contour F-holes
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Unbound "Haircut" headstock
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Rosewood or ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Long mortise and tenon neck joint w/contoured heel
- 22 frets, neck joins the body at the 19th fret
- Medium-Fat "C" neck shape
- 12" Fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut
- 24 7/8" Scale Length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Black or cream pickup rings and black or amber top hat knobs
- Dual Lollar low-wind Imperial humbuckers
- 1950's Style wiring scheme
- CTS 500K pots and Xicon caps
- Switchcraft toggle switch and output jack
- Tonepros AVR-II bridge and tailpiece
- Nickel Gotoh SG301 tuners w/ vintage-style buttons 1:18 ratio
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EXL-115 (.011"-.049")
- Collings deluxe hardshell case by Ameritage
more custom electric guitar options
Dave Sebree - Collings I-35 LC
Austin School of Music founder Dave Sebree demonstrates his Collings I-35 LC through a '69 Marshall Plexi with a Celestion loaded 2x12 cab.
Rick McRae - Collings I-35 LC - "When Lights Are Low"
Guitarist Rick McRae plays "When Lights Are Low" on a Collings I-35 LC through a '71 Fender Deluxe Reverb.
Rick McRae - Collings I-35 - "Crazy"
Guitarist Rick McRae plays "Crazy" (Willie Nelson, 1961) on a Collings I-35 LC through a '71 Fender Deluxe Reverb.
Living Machines: The Art and Craft Behind Collings Electric Guitars
As Bill Collings will tell you, "it's not about the tools, it's the mentality of the people building the guitars that counts." This short film takes an inside look at the drive, passion, and individual attention that goes into crafting every Collings electric guitar.
- Body Length: 17 5/8"
- Body Depth at Side: 1 5/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 15"
- Total Length: 40"
- Scale Length: 24 7/8"
- Standard Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Factory Strings: D' Addario EXL-115 (.011"-.049")
- Recommended Gauges:
- Review: iGuitar -Collings I35 LC review
- Review: The ToneQuest Report -Collings I35 LC review
- Custom Electric Guitar Gallery: I-35 LC # 12150
- Artists and Sightings: JD Simo - Collings I-35 LC
- Artists and Sightings: Bill Frisell - Collings I-35 LC Deluxe
- Artists and Sightings: Zac Brown - Collings I-35 LC
- Artists and Sightings: Dave Biller - Collings I35 LC Deluxe
- Artists and Sightings: Tomas Doncker - Collings I-35 LC
- Artists and Sightings: Dave Abeyta - Collings I-35 LC
- Artists and Sightings: Chuck Garvey - Collings I-35 LC