The Collings Jumbo, or CJ, is our version of the classic slope-shouldered dreadnought, a shape that has enjoyed renewed popularity in recent years. While the CJ is similar in width and depth to the traditional dreadnought, it has a distinctly different tone. Despite its large size this model works well with the optional shorter string scale, resulting in a somewhat percussive bottom end ideal for acoustic blues or other styles that benefit from a more controlled bass response. Of all the Collings body shapes, this is the one most often requested with a sunburst top finish, and the wide range of wood options, neck widths, and string scales allow the CJ to be many different guitars to a wide variety of players.
Standard Features Include:
- Select sitka spruce top
- Mahogany back and sides
- Cross-cut grained ivoroid and wood nitrate rosette
- Tortoise-style top/back/neck/peghead binding
- Black/white wood purfling with 1-style walnut backstrip
- Pre-war scalloped bracing
- Tortoise-style celluloid pickguard
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Mahogany neck
- Double bound "Haircut" headstock
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Ebony fingerboard with ebony belly-style bridge
- Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- 20 Frets, neck joins the body at the 14th fret
- Medium-Fat "C" neck profile and 2 3/16" string spacing
- 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut and drop-in saddle
- 25 1/2" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Ebony bridge pins and end pin
- Nickel Waverly tuners with 16:1 ratio
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Collings deluxe hardshell case by TKL
more custom acoustic guitar options
There Are No Shortcuts: Collings Acoustic Guitars
This short documentary film examines acoustic guitar building at Collings Guitars and the focus on quality that has come to define the company culture.
Kenny Smith - CJ Mh SB
Kenny Smith plays his arrangement of "Leather Britches" on a Collings CJ Mh SB.
Pete Huttlinger - CJ Mh SB
Pete Huttlinger plays "Things Are Looking Up" on his Collings CJ Mh SB.
- Body Length: 20 1/8"
- Body Depth at Side: 4 7/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 16"
- Total Length: 41"
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Standard Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Factory Strings: D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Recommended Gauges:
- Interview: Bill Collings interview from Acoustic magazine
- Acoustic Guitar Options: Neck Profile and Bridge Options Diagram
- Custom Acoustic Guitar Gallery: CJ Mh A Special #17670
- Artists and Sightings: Jake Stargel - CJ Mh A SS
- Artists and Sightings: Ray Benson - Collings CJ Mh SB
- Artists and Sightings: Steve Twigger (Gaelic Storm) - Collings CJ Mh SB